Enter your email below to recieve blog post updates through your email for life: as we know it

Friday, October 17, 2014

London's First Birthday!





I can't believe my little baby is ONE!!
Where has the time gone!
Sadly, I have only blogged a few times in that whole year! 
I have however, rededicated myself this this little space because I miss it, and I love going back through to read old posts!
Instagram has certainly changed the blogging world, that's for sure.

We had a sweet little party for London's birthday. 
Big, huge, over the top birthday parties are THE THING right now, 
especially in the blogging/creative world. 
I LOVE throwing/decorating a good party. It is a huge creative outlet for me, and I enjoy it immensely. 
Buuuuut, I didn't want to make this party a huge blowout for a few reasons.

First of all, if you do a huge party, how do you keep that up year after year? 
Especially when more kids start entering the mix and you are now throwing big birthday bashes multiple times a year!?
They also get expensive, and quick!

So I decided to keep things fairly simple and minimal, but still got to use my creative side for small things like decorations and dessert. Here are a few pictures of what I did, starting with the invitation.






To get my creative juices flowing, I decided to make letter cookies spelling her name for the dessert. 
This was SOOOOO much fun! I definitely want to make this a tradition for birthdays, and even other holidays! I am excited to decorate fun Christmas sugar cookies!
I did some research and watched a bunch of tutorials on cookie decorating and made a trip to
 Sur Le Table for some cookie cutters and gel food coloring (this is KEY!)


The process was a mess, but they turned out just how I imagined them!








The other thing that I did for the party was some decorations in the kitchen above the food table.
I just cut different shapes of paper and sewed them into a garland on my sewing machine. 
I also quickly designed a happy birthday poster with a chalkboard look and had 2 pictures of her printed in 18" x 24"  
 I thought it was a fun little touch to have a picture of her as a newborn and a current picture. 





 For her cake, I had a local bakery make a small smash cake.
White with black polka dots and a small pink heart.
I purchased a small gold "1" balloon and added some sweet pink ribbons to it for the cake topper.




She devoured that thing with a nice little sugar rush to follow!



She opened presents like a champ, pulling things out of bags, ripping paper off boxes, and dancing to the little music box that her nana gave her.  It was just the cutest thing ever!




She was surrounded by happiness and love and it was so fun to watch her experience her first birthday!
I can't wait to celebrate years of her sweet little life.



No comments:

Post a Comment