Enter your email below to recieve blog post updates through your email for life: as we know it

Monday, July 9, 2012

It's not a Diet, It's a Lifestyle: Detox Symptoms


In the first post about our lifestyle change I mentioned that my body went through some detox as I changed my diet.
Like I did, you might think that starting to eliminate sugars, meats and other bad things, and replacing them with more nutritious fruits and veg, that your body would soon be showing the benefits. But our body has to eliminate those things first. It does this in many different ways. Here are the few that I experienced:

The first thing I noticed was acne
I have NEVER had acne problems in all my life. I guess I was blessed with good skin, because I rarely get pimples and if I do, it's a sure sign of 'that time of the month'.
One morning I woke up with acne all over my upper chest and neck. This was about 2 weeks into our change in diet. This lasted about 2 weeks. 
At first I didn't realize what it was, and started worrying, trying to figure out what might have caused it.
I started thinking about all the things I use, shampoo, lotion, makeup, laundry soap, thinking that maybe I was having some sort of reaction. I hadn't made any changes like that, so none of those things made any sense. 

The next thing that I noticed was that I was bloated pretty much every day for a few weeks. 

I did have headaches as well, but I get headaches no matter what, so I don't know if they were detox symptoms or just my normal headaches. But headaches are definitely a detox symptom when you change your diet or eliminate something that your body was reliant on. I am hopeful that my new eating habits will eliminate or severely lesson my normal headaches.

As I mentioned in the first post of this series, I also lost quite a bit of weight in the first few weeks. This is another detox symptom. I lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks.

The next thing that I noticed was my nose was more runny and I was excreting more mucus by sneezing a lot. That lasted a week-ish

All of these things happened in the same week, so I started thinking that maybe my body was trying to eliminate the bad stuff. I wasn't sure if this is was it was so I googled detox symptoms of diet change and sure enough, these were all things that people have experienced when eliminating the things that we have.
Not everyone will have detox symptoms. It just depends on your body. For example, Brock had no detox symptoms. 

All of these symptoms are caused by toxins that are trying to leave your body. All the chemicals from the foods that I was eating before were trying to make their way out of me and this is how they did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment