Enter your email below to recieve blog post updates through your email for life: as we know it

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recipe: Lion House Rolls



There is a little story behind these rolls. Brock lived with his uncle Dave for a couple years, up until we got married. Every Sunday at uncle Daves, there would be these rolls, and Brock LOVED them. So I decided when we got married that I needed to find out how to make them. I googled the recipe and found out that you can also order these pre made and just freeze them! Not gonna lie, I was pretty tempted to just do that! But I printed out the recipe, and finally 4 months later, I gave them a go.
They were delish. Not the prettiest, but good! I’m still trying to perfect my roll presentation. They don’t look as good as they should, but they taste the same!
And I have had no problems getting these bad boys to rise. Which sadly isn’t the case with my attempts with cinnamon rolls!
This looks like it might be a complicated recipe but when you start, it’s not. If I can do it, YOU can too. Seriously.
This recipe does take some time because the rolls have to rise twice, so this is a good weekend recipe for me.

{I’ve made my own notes in red}


Lion House Rolls
2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees)
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk (instant)
2 tbs dry yeast
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening (butter or margarine)
1 egg
5-5 ½ cups flour , all purpose (bread flour can be used if you have it on hand) I have used both and they both work great

Directions:
                In the large bowl of an electric mixer (I use my hand mixer since I don’t have a stand mixer yet), combine the water and the milk powder and stir so the milk dissolves. Add the yeast to this mixture then the sugar, salt, shortening, egg and 2 cups of the flour. Mix on low speed of mixer until ingredients are wet (since I am using a hand mixer, I do this part by hand then move onto the mixer for the next step) Then turn to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes (I’m mixing on low with the hand mixer).
                Stop the mixer and add 2 more cups of flour, them mix on low speed until the ingredients are wet (again, if using the hand mixer, I just do this by hand). Then turn mixer on medium speed and mix for 2 minutes. (I use low with the hand mixer). The dough will be getting stiff and you may need to remove the bowl from the mixer and mix in the remaining flour by hand. (I do this last part by hand like it suggests, and I always need more flour than it calls for. I don’t measure it out, I just add flour till it is the consistency of dough; soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff.) Scrape the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour approximately one tablespoon vegetable oil  all around the sides of the bowl. (I usually put this in a completely different bowl) Turn the dough over in the bowl so it is covered with the oil. (This helps prevent the dough from drying out.) Cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
                Sprinkle a cutting board or counter with flour and put the dough on the flour. It is now ready to roll out and cut into desired shape and size of rolls ( I roll it out into a circle and use my pizza cutter to cut them into pie pieces, I then roll them from biggest end to smallest like croissant rolls-this is the part I’m still trying to perfect..making them look decent).
                Place on greased (or parchment lined) baking pans. Let ruse in a warm place until the rolls are double in size (approx. 1-1 ½ hours). Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until they are browned to your satisfaction. (we brush on some melted butter when they come out of the oven)

ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. i try to stay away from recipes like this. i will eat everything all by myself.

    ReplyDelete