Enter your email below to recieve blog post updates through your email for life: as we know it

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Recipe: Zuppa Toscana


I have had some people ask me for recipes that I have tried, so I decided to just post them on here so I don't have to email them multiple times.

This is a favorite recipe at our house.
It warms your soul. Promise!
I got this recipe out if a cookbook I have had for a few years called America’s most wanted recipes. This is from Olive Garden (MY FAV!)
{I've made some of my own notes in red}
Yuuuum!! Tastes just like the real thing... if not better! For reals though. 


Zuppa Toscana Soup
1 Pound Italian Sausage ( I tried this recipe once with the spicy Italian sausage and it was just too hot. Stick with the regular Italian sausage)
8 Oz smoked bacon chopped ( I nix this in ours cause I don’t eat bacon)
4 cups water
Two 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes (we do 3)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion
2 Cups chopped kale or swiss chard (I haven’t tried this with the chard but the kale is SO yum. Add the                       whole bunch even if it’s more than 2cups! It’s good stuff)
1 cup heavy cream
Salt & Pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1.  In a skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage (don’t forget to remove the casing!) into small pieces; drain and set aside
2.  In a separate skillet fry the bacon until brown, drain and set aside (again, I nix this step)
3.  Combine the water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are tender. About 10-15 minutes
4.  Add the sausage and bacon; simmer for 10 minutes
5.  Add the kale and cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the soup is heated through. Do not allow to boil

This makes about 4 servings. It’s perfect for brock and I cause we have lunch and dinner the next day and it’s just as good as leftovers!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I am going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my sweet friend!! You are the best! Your house is so cute with your Christmas decor! Can't wait to see it and see YOU!

    ReplyDelete